On 25 April 2017, the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) and National Energy Administration (NEA) publicly released a strategic paper on “Energy Supply and Consumption Revolution Strategy (2016-2030)”, which sets out the main overall targets and strategies of Chinese energy sector for 2030. This document sets a pathway beyond the 13th Five Year Plan for energy (2016-2020).
The document was prepared by the Department of Basic Industries of NDRC.The document was finalized in December 2016.
•The document essentially recalls existing targets for 2020…:
•…But also sets up new targets for 2030:
•The document also recalls China’s climate change commitments (INDCs) by 2030:
|Air quality||Share of ‘good’ air quality days||%||76.7%||>80%||Mandatory|
|Decrease of PM 2.5 for cities which did not achieve targets||%||-18%||Mandotary|
|Decrease of serious air pollution days in main cities||days||25 days||Indicative|
|Air pollutants||Chemical Oxygen Demand (COD)||%||-10%||Mandatory|
The document includes a section on international governance which highlights the need to:
•Vision towards 2050
By 2050, primary energy consumption should be stable, with more than half coming from non-fossil energy.
By 2050, China shall also become an “important participant” of international energy governance.
The Table of Contents is as below:
1. Grasping energy development megatrend, thoroughly understanding the pressing need of energy revolution
2. Comprehensive realization of modernization, clarification of strategic targets of energy revolution
3. Promoting energy consumption revolution, achieve conservation and high efficiency
4. Promoting energy supply revolution, establish clean and low carbon new (energy) system
5. Promoting energy technology revolution, seize high ground of science and technology development
6. Promoting energy governance revolution, push forward modernization of governance framework
7. Strengthening comprehensive international cooperation, create a shared future of global energy
8. Improving general emergency preparedness capacity, have the initiative of energy security
9. Implementing key strategic actions, push forward breakthroughs in key fields
10. Effectively strengthen organizational management, ensure full realization of strategic targets